Resource officer will cost thousands

Local News

Blue Earth Area School District students will continue to learn more than just about the “3 R’s.”

School Board members recently approved a three-year contract with the Faribault County Sheriff’s Department to provide a School Resource Officer (SRO).

And, it will cost the district more than $85,000 in the last year of the agreement if it is renewed.

Chief Deputy Scott Adams says deputy DJ Bullerman has been working as an SRO for the district since 2013.

“He does a fantastic job, and we are fortunate to have him in that position,” says Adams.

Bullerman is expected to be a resource person for staff, classroom members and administrators in the promoting of positive behavior in all the district’s buildings.

According to the contract, the district reimburses the county 75 percent of the wages, insurance, benefits, PERA and workers compensation associated with the sheriff department’s lowest paid deputy.

In addition, the district also pays expenses related to use of a squad car and any personal equipment needed by a deputy.

Adequate office space, a telephone and other reasonable clerical support services will also be provided by the district.

“Our deputies work 2,223 hours per year, so DJ puts in 75 percent of those hours at the district during the school year. The other 25 percent he is a road deputy during the summer,” says Adams.

The first payment to the county of $38,040 is due by Dec. 1 of this year. Next school year, the district will pay $39,850 on June 1 and the same amount on Dec. 1.

In 2024, the county will receive $41,204 on June 1 and on Dec.1 and the final payment of the contract will be $43,367 on June 1, 2025.

Under the contract, the county will provide coverage when Bullerman is absent due to vacation, holidays, training or other activities. Also, either party may cancel the agreement with a 30-day written notice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *