A late-night fire destroyed a home in the northwest residential area of Winnebago last Friday.
Faribault County Sheriff’s Office responded to a 911 call that came into dispatch around 11 p.m.
“The occupants were not home, but sadly a cat did die in the fire,” says Chief Deputy Scott Adams.
The house, owned by Ron and Carolyn Howe, was located at 233 2nd Street Northwest.
According to a press release, the house and garage were fully engulfed in flames when law officers arrived on the scene.
Although busy with Bago Fun Fest events that night, Police Chief Eric Olson says police officers arrived shortly after the fire was reported.
Assisting the Sheriff’s Office with the investigation are the Minnesota State Fire Marshal’s Office and Winnebago Fire Department.
Also at the scene were the Blue Earth and Delavan fire departments and Winnebago Ambulance.
Meanwhile, a “Howe Benefit” account has been opened at First Financial Bank in Winnebago.
“They lost almost all of their belongings, their vehicles and their family pet, leaving them to completely start over,” Maggie Hassing posted on social media. “We want to ensure they can replace the items they need.”
Anyone wanting to donate may do so at the bank or make a check payable to “Howe Benefit” and mail to First Financial Bank, P.O. Box 988, Winnebago, MN, 56098.